Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Driving this Featured Car! The 2002 Chevy Corvette $23,995

 
 
This featured car is the 2002 Chevy Corvette.  I knew driving this car was going to be hard to describe, so I thought I'd take her for a little spin up Greenwood Heights!  The 5.7 liter V8 Engine started up with a growl; 350 horses.... I couldn't help grinning like a fool as the seat slid up into the preset position of the last driver.  I could feel the purr of the engine through the seat, arm rest, and stick.  The 2002 Corvette not only has 20 more horses than the previous run, it also received some suspension upgrades; a larger front stabilizer, stiffer rear leaf springs, new rear shock valves and re-tuned cambering for increased grip and agility.  The front stabilizer bar links and transmission cooler case were also replaced with aluminum to decrease overall weight. Under the hood she looked clean, and with less than 30,000 miles, I didn't expect anything less.

 
 
Pulling out of the lot I could feel the extraordinary racing heritage that is every Vette's birthright.  It felt so planted, so smooth.  So completely in control.  No flex or roll in the suspension like almost every other car I've drove.  I put her in second.  The clutch has a short stroke, not mushy or elongated, more like a motorcycle than a typical car.  Tooling down Broadway, I could feel the eyes of pedestrians and other motorists sliding over the Vette's curves.  Heading out to Samoa, I let her have some reigns.  She accelerated effortlessly. No thinking about it.  The purr started to become more of roar.  A hitchhiker walking the bridge waved his thumb excitedly at me.  Sorry buddy. Ain't gonna happen. Shifting into fourth as I rapidly approached the speed limit, now I was just coasting, giving her hardly any gas.  She ate up the bumps on the bridge transition like nothing.  I stilled slowed way down for those train tracks: I'm not taking any chances and those tracks are stupid.
 
 
Out Old Arcata Road, I could only marvel how comfortable the ride was.  Knowing that this Vette is about as sports car as it gets, and honestly about as much of a sports car as many of us can afford, I was surprised how relaxing and smooth the ride actually is.  Now I know why most Corvette drivers I see are going so slow.  There's no need to drive it like a bat outa hell.  Sure it's built for it, but cruzing in this car is a pleasure all it's own. Going up the Heights, this Vette has a feeling that's unique in the car world.  With the 2002's upgraded suspension and Humboldt's, shall we say, less than stellar road quality it felt silky smooth, but without any sense of floating.  The Car just felt there.  I pushed her into the turns. Still no roll.  I love it.


 
Back at the dealership, and very reluctantly, I hung up the keys, still grinning like a fool.  I looked at the clock. Uhoh, a quick spin turned into a two hour drive! Oh well, it was worth every second.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment